Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Coast Starlight Train To California - Day 1

This morning I boarded the Amtrak Coast Starlight train in Seattle with a destination of Salinas, California. I booked a roomette for the trip since I’ll be on the train overnight for the more than 24 hour trip. It was a good choice because you get private accommodations and meals are included. I lucked out and when I booked my roomette, the family size roomette was somehow less expensive then the smaller two-person roomette. So I have an extra large room meant for 3 or 4 people all to myself!



The trip has been beautiful so far. The leaves on the trees are changing colors and all along the route, there are fall colors in reds, oranges, and yellows. We’ve ridden past Puget Sound and the Columbia River.



I’ve spent most of my time in the Parlour car which has lounge chairs and floor to ceiling windows. I’ve met some nice people, most of them older and retired, and eaten some good food.

Tonight they are supposed to have a movie playing on a large HD Flat Screen TV but I’ve decided to chill out in my room and watch movies on my new iPod and the Myvu Crystal Video viewer I got recently. It is like watching a large screen movie but they are the size of glasses. Really cool!

I’ve been doing a bit of knitting too but can’t post any pictures or give any clues about what I’m knitting because it is a Christmas gift. I have plans to stop at several yarn stores while I’m driving down the coast of California. Vacation yarn doesn’t really count as stash yarn right?

We cross over into California sometime in the night. And I’ll be getting off in Salinas around noon.

1 comment:

emicat said...

What a great time for an enjoyable ride down to CA.

Have fun! :)