Monday, July 03, 2006

First Turned Heel Sock

I finally finished my first turned heel sock today. It took me several tries before I found a pattern that I liked and that knitted up nicely.

I got the pattern for this sock from the Knitting Pattern-A-Day: 2006 Day-To-Day Calendar. It is from Friday, October 20th (okay, so I cheated and looked ahead!) and is called "Classic Socks on Circular Needles". I substituted the circular needles for double pointed needles.

I had to redo turning the heel several times and every time I worked the heel to the instep, I kept getting big holes. So I redid that too. I figured I wanted it to look right if I plan on wearing the socks.

I used the Kitchener Stitch to close the toe, but like my first pair of knitted socks which were just a tube without a turned heel, the top of my toes are visible through the top stitching. So I may have to redo that part.

The pattern calls for reinforcing yarn which is optional. I'm not sure if this is a special kind of yarn or just any ole yarn. I will have to research this. You use it at the heel and the toe. Which seems like a good idea since these areas get the most wear. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Faith said...

The most common reinforcing yarn is called "Wooly Nylon", a thread made from wool and nylon. You can either knit it into the fabric, held with the main yarn, or else you can weave it into the heels and toes after everything's done.