Sunday, September 28, 2008

Contest Progress - Day 4

No progress yesterday on my Wraplan. I did bring my knitting but it was just to beautiful out to be inside knitting.

The Bead Exhibit at the downtown Seattle Art Museum was interesting. They had it in the form of a quiz. So at each display, they would have a question about what a set a bead garments were or who used the beaded item. Then next to the display they had a bunch of cards with pictures of the beads or beaded item and on the back information about it.

I did not like the format. I like to have the information cards posted next to piece of art. In some cases, I couldn't find a matching card. In any case, it was a good exhibit and because I used to sell beads and study bead history for fun, I knew or could guess what the beads were and who used them.

Afterwards, we walked down 1st Avenue to So Much Yarn which was a nice shop but one I probably won't go back to since it is downtown and didn't really carry anything that I can't get at a more accessible yarn store around Seattle.

Downtown was bustling with people which stills surprises me because most Texas cities don't have vibrant downtowns where people live, work, and shop. We were down by Pike Place Market so we stopped to have a smoothie and some roasted nuts.

The water taxi to and from West Seattle was beautiful. Mount Rainer was breath taking. Ernestina is a native of Seattle and so she isn't phased by seeing it. Most people from Seattle seem to not even notice it. I guess they are so used to it.

But I remember most times at least noticing the UT Tower or the Texas Capital when I was driving around Austin. And I always loved looking at the lakes when I drove by them or crossed over them. And wild flowers in the Spring were one of my favorite things.

Anyway, I hope I never lose the joy of seeing Mount Rainer or the Cascade Mountains or the Olympic Mountains especially since they aren't available to see most of the year because of the clouds and grey.

Today is supposed to be another beautiful day and I have a party to go to this afternoon for a friend who is moving to Olympia. Hopefully, I will be able to do some knitting tonight while I watch some episodes of the BBC Robin Hood. Erica hasn't posted her progress but she may be done by now already. :(

No comments: