Thursday, December 27, 2007

Mr Greenjeans Swatch



Last night at knit group, I cast on my swatch for Mr Greenjeans from the Fall 2007 Knitty.

Ialiuxh, Charity, and I are starting a sweater-along after the new year. But Charity has already started on hers. So I need to catch up!

I'm using Knit Pick Swish Superwash, which is 100% Superwash yarn, in Jade.

It looks like a got gauge the first try. But I've found before that I have to use a size 7 needle with worsted weight yarn so I didn't even try with an 8.

Well, I'm not sure I got gauge exactly. When I use my ruler, I get 9 stitches for 2 inches and 12 rows for 2 inches. But when I measure across the stockinette stitches which is 22 inches, I get 5 1/2 inches which is 4 stitches per inch and I get 28 rows in 4 3/4 rows which is 5.9.

I need 18 stitches by 24 rows. And I know if I change needle sizes down to a 6, I'll probably end up with too many stitches per row. So, I may end up recalculating the pattern to use my gauge. So much for following the pattern exactly!

Carrie said to wash my swatch. Her experience has been that superwash gets bigger when washed. So that might be a good thing, in this case.



Also, at knit night, Ialiuxh gave me her skein of Socks That Rocks yarn that she got from the sock club. She doesn't like blues and teals much and she knows I do. Isn't she SWEET!!!!

The colorway is called Bella * Coola / Nuxalk. The pattern that came with it is called Salish Sea Socks by Cat Bordhi. It looks like a fun pattern.

And it even came with a little emergency key chain skein. The label says, "Don't Leave Home Without It".

No comments: