Sunday, August 13, 2006

Making Sense Of My Stash

Here is a picture of my stash of one skein yarns. I organized it by color weight according to the book, The Yarn Stash Workbook: Great Ideas and Dozens of Projects by Laura Militzer Bryant. In this case weight is by saturation and intensity.

The book really helped me make sense of what I have in my stash. Before this stash was a jumble mess of colors that I didn't think I could make anything out of. Laura also suggests different ways to combine the various weights of yarns in projects. I now have several ideas about some projects I can work on using a couple or a few of the skeins together.

The first project I thought about is an open weave scarf using two of the bulky yarns I have. One skein is a pink alpaca yarn from Blue Sky that I've been holding out using because it is so soft. I wanted to do something special. But one skein of most things just don't seem to go far unless you are making baby stuff or things from Leigh Radford's One Skein book, which I have used to make a couple of things.

I'm hoping to use up some of my stash to make Christmas/Holiday/Birthday gifts. That way I don't have to spend a lot more money, yet I can make some really nice gifts. Posted by Picasa

No comments: