Thursday, October 11, 2007

Monkey Socks and Sweater Progress


I've started on a new pair of socks. They are Monkey by Cookie A from the Winter 2006 issue of Knitty.

I'm using the Fly Dyed ShoeFly yarn I bought last month at the Payallup fair. This is a great yarn. If feels soft and I love how it is knitting up. It is 80% wool and 20% nylon which I prefer over 100% wool for my socks.

I've also been making good progress on the Wickedly Foolish Cardigan I'm making for my mom. I got a few more inches knitted on it at the Renton Knitting Group last night.

Sabbath is making a Wicked Cardigan too. I love the yarn she is using. It has a great color and feels yummy!

I'm thinking of knitting Silver Belle next for myself. I think it will be a wonderful challenge with all those cables and the construction of the cardigan. I've seen several finished on Ravelry that look awesome.

I'm on the lookout for just the right yarn. I want to use a quality yarn but not one that is too expensive. The pattern calls for between 1400 - 1700 yards of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. And at $8 for a 100 yard ball that means the cardigan could cost between $112 to $136. Ouch!

Andean Silk by Knit Picks is about half the cost of Debbie Bliss at $4.29 for 96 yards. It is 55% Super Fine Alpaca, 23% Silk, 22% Merino Wool. I may choose that yarn or find another suitable substitute.

I'm also thinking about an 100% wool yarn like Knit Picks Wool of the Andes ($1.99 for 110 yards) or Cascade 220 ($7 for 220 yards). I'm just worried that those may be too scratchy.

I may go to Renaissance Yarn in Kent this weekend and check out their selection of yarns. They are having a Louet Fashion Show on Saturday that sounds like fun.

No comments: